IDEAS For DRCongo Agriculture Program
In increasing Africa, the food needs will be also increasing (on 2050 Africa will have two billion habitants) in majority of women and young people. This perspective summarizes the extent of the challenges of our agricultures: to nourish and enrich African and to preserve resources for the future generations.
The hunger in the world makes food security to be one of the priorities of agricultural policies in development countries and start-up of these policies passes by national services, private companies and local initiatives.
More than 80% of rural population in Democratic Republic of Congo devotes to agriculture, but this agriculture remains of subsistence (it is then described as family agriculture).These previous lines cause several complex questions because returning on the land field not being augur well.
Behind all this logic and not wanting to fall into the lethargy, ideas germinated and needs an important contribution to let them grow.
With IDEAS For Us impulse, the team of IDEAS For DRCongo analyzes possibilities to get emergence of regional pole of production in order to make safe populations supplies and to stimulate hundreds of the young people who are interest or not interest in agriculture.
It is advantageous to know that environmental protection inevitably passes by food security because hollow belly, destroyed environment.
This program puts forward the development projects, the breeding and the development of the agro-business in favor of young people and to make South-Kivu, an attic of area.
From family agriculture, an agricultural impulse of growth is possible, it is thus necessary to have for base, the local communities.
The surface of implementation of these ideas is the Ruzizi lowland , Uvira district and more precisely in Luvungi community. With this intention and using the resources edge, a descent on ground was carried out in Luvungi dated November 6th, 2015 at November 8th, 2015.
This program aims at the improvement of the socio-economic conditions of populations in South-Kivu.
Specifically, it aims to:
– To test cultures of corn, groundnut, tomato, rice and other vegetables,which are more economically profitable
– To develop the agribusiness in order to combat unemployment in the young people who are an important labor
– To employ a significant portion of the young people who will arrive on the job market
– Give more importance to agriculture like gainful employment, profitable and to develop the farmer vocation
– To protect the environment through a sustainable agriculture
– To reduce the food and nutritional insecurity in the households
– To reduce poverty by supporting an inclusive growth
– The choice of seeds to be planted (for experimentation)
– Preparation of the ground (ploughing), the sowing of 4 corn fields of 25m×25m and 4 groundnut fields of 25m×25m
– Participation of eight members of IDEAS For DR Congo including the country director, the program manager and the team of Luvungi’s community chapter.
Conclusion and future prospect
The Sustainable Development Goals number 2 which stipulates that it is necessary to End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture that why IDEAS For DR. Congo launches out in this vast program in order to improve the living conditions of the population of RDCongo, South-Kivu, and Luvungi in particular.
Much thanks to IDEAS For DRCongo team for the promptness of which it makes watch and a particular thanks to all IDEAS For Us team for the encouragements and the attachments. The best remains to be come…
“Together, let us find awareness and sustainable solutions”
Short description of Ruzizi’s lowland which is limited:
– In the south by Tanganyika Lake
– In north by the chiefdom of Bafuliru
– In the East by Burundi
– In the west by the chiefdom of Bafuliru and Bavira.
Two fields in experimentation, one bearing on the corn culture and the other on the groundnut culture were initiated and 8 fields of members are the object of the experimentation in progress. They are 3 fields for three women, 4 for four young people and 1 for a man. (These fields will give the idea of the future actions but also their experimentation will make possible to compare the production and to support the emulation).
1. Didier Mugalihya Mulumeoderhwa
2. Daniel Batachoka Mastaki
3. Shekahogo Mbata Leon
4. Aimedo Mbata
5. Amani Rhuhalirwa
6. Ishara Matenga
IDEAS For DRCongo, Programs Manager